Friday 24 May 2013

Reflecting on London

I have enjoyed my time here in London so much! There have been so many amazing learning  experiences and times of encouragement. I think the times I have enjoyed the most have been the one-to-one conversations and discussions. In these times I have learnt so much about who God is and what he is doing in each of these individuals' lives. I was able to discover more about myself and what God is doing in me by the sharing I did with those around me. 
One highlight of my time here was having the opportunity to go to the HTB (Holy Trinity Brompton) Leadership Conference in the Royal Albert Hall for a day. It was overwhelming worshiping with around 5,500 people from all over the world and of all different denominations. We had some great speakers who shared inspiring and  profound messages. One phrase that has really stuck with me is "If your vision isn't intimidating to you, it may be insulting to God" (Steven Furtick) That idea that God wants us to dream big dreams, and not limit his power to the stretches of our imagination. I have also been really challenged to think that "big" for us isn't necessarily God's idea of "big". Sometimes the most significant thing we could ever do is have a loving conversation with a stranger. My own understanding of this has been warped, as I tend to think the people who lead churches of thousands, or become world renowned Christian preachers are the ones who are doing "big" things for God. It is really freeing to know that God doesn't see it that way; that he and his heavenly host erupt in praise as soon as one tiny life is transformed for the better. I love that God always finds ways of shattering the boxes I put him in. 
I also spent time at three different churches around London, which inspired me with ideas and dreams for my own church in Hoylake. I am excited to talk to my church family about what I have seen and discovered. 
I spent three mornings over the past two weeks in the local YMCA learning about what sports chaplains do and how they support the people who go in and out of the gym, cafe and residential housing. I was really blessed by learning of the conversations they have had that have lead to prayer, healing and Alpha courses. I loved my time chatting with Carolyn and Lucy( the chaplain and co-worker) about what  great experiences they have had. I was massively encouraged by their dedication and their relationships with God. 
There have been so many different things that I have done so I won't write everything down but overall the main things I have learned are:
1) That God really answers prayer supernaturally. My lack of expectation must be so insulting to him. I am learning to see the weight of my words, and that God always answers me. 
2) That God is pleased with me before I even start trying to do "stuff" for him. Nothing I ever do will add or take away from what he already feels for me. In that I find great comfort. 
3) That he wants me to be faithful to him in every little mundane thing, for it is in the small that he will teach me everything I need to know for the "big". 

What an amazing two weeks! 

Kirsty x

No comments:

Post a Comment