Friday 9 August 2013

Soul Survivor 2013

For those of you who don't know, Soul Survivor is an organization that runs Christian festivals all through the summer that aim to develop and deepen young people's relationship with Jesus. We went to one of the festivals in Stafford which was filled with around 5,000 young people. As a youth group at St. Lukes we have gone each year for three years and I have to say God has done incredible things in me every time I have been. This year I was blown away in the first main meeting how thirsty I was for worship. It amazes me how simply having an expectation for connecting powerfully with God at these events results in a change of heart. I am really challenged that I should be just as expectant when attending my own church each week. Even expectancy in the everyday connections with God should my priority. 
Soul Survivor was such a great experience this year. We bonded amazingly as a youth group and several of the group gave their lives to Christ! It was a week filled with a lot of emotions because of the knowledge that our church's youth and children's workers are leaving for a new job. Matt and Jenny have become part of my family so it was really hard knowing it was the last youth event we would have with them in our Church. Our incredible gap year (Amy Capner) was also leaving, so knowing that each of these amazing people were leaving made it hard not to cry on the last night. 
Saying this, we also laughed SO much together! Having the chance to worship God and then spend an afternoon worshiping him by enjoying fellowship with Christian youth really encouraged us as a group. I am excited to see the effects of Soul Survivor on us as a youth group come September when we start meeting regularly again. 
I was personally really challenged by God in regard to my attitude to the calling he has on my life. He showed me a glimpse of the sacrifices I will need to make to fully live my life for him. I was shocked in one main event by the extent of the weight of these sacrifices and the Holy Spirit helped me to see what my life is for and that even in the painful seasons will I always praise God? My prayer is that He will continue to strengthen my faith to a point where I can rest assured knowing any sacrifices I make for the sake of His Kingdom are all out of my passion for the name of Jesus. One chorus really spoke to me. I have included it below because I hope that this is a prayer we as Christians will live out more effectively in future. 

Kirsty x

"Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders
Let me walk upon the waters
Wherever You would call me
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
And my faith will be made stronger
In the presence of my Saviour"

(Oceans, by Hillsong) 


No comments:

Post a Comment